Our overarching research goals for citizen science collection efforts:
- Track the distribution of the common sunflower (Helianthus annuus) across both
urban and rural landscapes, and how it changes over time.
- Accumulate knowledge about the different organisms utilizing
sunflowers, particularly native bird, mammal, and insect species - especially native pollinators.
- Collect data about the health, fecundity (reproductive output), viability, and other life history characteristics of sunflower populations. This will provide us with indispensable information about the adaptability of sunflowers in different habitat types.
Our overarching impact goals for citizen science collection efforts:
- Provide participants with a deeper understanding of the animal and plant communities persisting alongside us in urban landscapes
- Make science more accessible to everyone
- Promote a more positive attitude toward science
- Broaden the public’s perception of scientists and of themselves as scientists